Justine Sherry is an assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Her interests are in computer networking; her work includes middleboxes, networked systems, measurement, cloud computing, and congestion control. Her recent research focuses on new opportunities and challenges arising from the deployment of middleboxes -- such as firewalls and proxies -- as services offered by clouds and ISPs. Justine received her PhD (2016) and MS (2012) from UC Berkeley, and her BS and BA (2010) from the University of Washington. She is a recipient of the David J. Sakrison prize, paper awards at USENIX NSDI and ACM SIGCOMM, and an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Most importantly, she is always on the lookout for a great cappuccino.
Middleboxes + HTTPS:
Papers I Love:
- Embark: Securely Outsourcing Middleboxes to the Cloud
C. Lan, J. Sherry, R. A. Popa, S. Ratnasamy
Proc. USENIX NSDI, 2016
- Rollback Recovery for Middleboxes Awarded Best Student Paper
J. Sherry, P. X. Gao, S. Basu, A. Panda, A. Krishnamurthy, C. Macciocco, M. Manesh, J. Martins, S. Ratnasamy, L. Rizzo, S. Shenker
Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, 2015
- Recursively Cautious Congestion Control
R. Mittal, J. Sherry, S. Ratnasamy, S. Shenker
Proc. USENIX NSDI, 2014
- Making Middleboxes Someone Else's Problem: Network Processing as a Cloud Service
J. Sherry, S. Hasan, C. Scott, A. Krishnamurthy, S. Ratnasamy, V. Sekar
Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, 2012
EtceteraOdds and Ends:
- That one time I was on the Packet Pushers podcast.
- That one time I gave a talk in Spanish.
- Seattle people really are coffee snobs; I used to have coffee recs here but it got so big I had to move it to a separate page.
- Tiny Transactions on Computer Science is the premier research venue for computer science research in 140 characters or less.
- The Loss of the Creature, by Walker Percy
- The Library of Babel, by Jorge Luis Borges
- Also Borges: Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
- The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, by Thomas Kuhn
- Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet, by Clark, Wroclawski, Sollins, and Braden
- Enoch Soames, by Max Beerbohm
- The Dead Past, by Isaac Asimov
- Lord Moulton's 1914 Address on Babbage and the Analytical Engine